Making English Lessons Relevant
English is a Language - It's everywhere and connected to every subject, which makes easy to find a topic that your students will find interesting.
Getting ready for a new group of students, or to meet your students again after summer vacation?
Here are some game ideas to help you get their attention and check their English:
ABC Game – 3rd-6th grade (must know the alphabet and some vocabulary)
- Choose one child to say the ABC silently, another to say "stop".
- When the second child says "stop", ask the first child at which letter he stopped.
- Children must bring you an object beginning with that letter.
Categories – any age, change vocabulary according to the level
- Begin a rhythm.
- Say "Who can name some (colors, animals, healthy foods, adjectives, etc.) such as (give an example)".
- Each child has to name a word from that category in turn.
- Depending on the group, you may eliminate any child who can't think of a word on his turn, or who repeats a word that someone already used.
Drama and Vocabulary - 5th grade and up
- Write each vocabulary word on a slip of paper, or have students write words.
- Divide students into groups and have each student take one or two words.
- Each group must write a story using all of the words they received, and then perform it for the class.
Word Game - 6th grade and up
- This game can be played between two students at a time or among the entire class.
- The first student says a word in English.
- The next student must say a word that begins with the last letter of the previous word.
- For less advanced students the teacher should say the letter for the students.For more advanced students words can be limited to certain categories, a minimum number of letters, etc.
All games are in the book Making English Fun.
Of course it's always fun to use a song. Here are some you can find here:
- Good Morning/Good Afternoon, for children up to 3rd grade, on the CD English is Fun
- Hello Everybody - 3-6th grade, on the CD English is More Fun
- Let's Talk - 4-6th grade, on the CD English is Fun
- Let's Talk More - 7th grade and up, on the CD English is Fun as You Advance
Worksheets - Feel free to download and copy for classroom use.
Kara Aharon 052-3903306